The Front Porch


Oh, what memories there are from our front porch.  After supper was over, dishes washed, dried and put away, the water buckets were filled and the cook wood box was filled.  The chickens were fastened up and the slop jar was cleaned and placed beside the bed.  Then, all feet were washed.

            This was a special time for the Hatcher family.  Mother would gather us all around.  It was a time for closeness and calm.  As our voices rang out across the clear clam night air, we sang “Farther Along” and “Turn Your Radio On”.  Mother would sing of a wreck on a Railroad 49, “Nashville Girl”, Put My Little Shoes Away”, and about “The Ginger Boo Man”.  The neighbors would say that they listened all night.  That was how they knew that all was well.

            This is when and how I learned to sing harmony, and even now when I hear a note, I hear the harmony.  I can’t sing the same note others sing, I sing in harmony.  I have always wondered if that has something to do with personality, also.  A leader is a leader, and then there’s me.  Always trying to keep things running smooth, and in harmony.